Join IMV for CAFE Fridays Starting Today
Get your coffee and biscotti ready and join us for our new CAFE Fridays from 10-11:30am! CAFE Fridays (Community Action For Everyone Fridays) will be a time each week where our members can talk to each other in small groups while also doing a variety of actions that make an impact.
Do you have piles of petitions to sign, emails, calls, and tweets to legislators that you just haven't gotten to? Ready to write postcards again or send texts to flip the Senate? We'll be doing all that and more each Friday morning while meeting virtually. If you need help with Zoom, email Jennifer at indivisiblemohawkvalley@gmail.
Take Three Climate Crisis Actions Now
IMV's Climate Crisis Working Group has made divestment the group's main focus for the year. The current goal is to help push Tom DiNapoli. NY State Comptroller, to divest the NYS pension fund from fossil fuels. Here are your three action items:
1. Please sign the petition for the New York State Teachers Retirement Fund to divest. https://www.
2. Call or email Assemblywoman Buttenschon and ask her to co-sponsor the Fossil Fuel Divestment Act bill, A1536A. If you are her constituent and/or a recipient of a retirement fund, let her know that. firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-732-1055.
3. Finally, if you or someone you know is an academic, scientist or researcher affiliated with a college, university or institute, please sign on to this letter urging NYS legislators to support divestment. (The letter is open to any academic field, but signatures are not being collected from students at this time.) https://docs.google.com/forms/
Brindisi Campaign Volunteer Opportunities
Check out the calendar below for three events on the Virtual Brindisi Campaign Calendar.
1) Digital Bootcamp: Introduction to Digital Organizing. Many of us attended one of the session this past week. There's another one coming up Tuesday. Please, if you have not joined a session yet, sign up now! You'll learn how you can help Anthony win using the tools that we have during these times: Twitter, Slack, and more.
2) Phonebank Training: Every Monday (starting up July 13th again) you can join one of these sessions! If you aren't trained yet, sign up here. It takes just a short time on the training and you'll be calling voters in no time to check on them and ask them how they feel about Anthony.
3) Make Calls for Congressman Brindisi from your home. This is phone banking for Anthony with like-minded friends and volunteers. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-7 pm and Saturday mornings 10am-noon.
Ask a friend to join you for any of these events and then sign up. It's more fun together!
#BlackLivesMatter in Camden Today
One thing we have loved seeing is all the young people organizing local #BlackLivesMatter and #JusticeforGeorge solidarity rallies, especially in rural areas and towns that may never have seen these racial justice public events before...ever. This afternoon at 4 pm, join Liz and Emily at the intersection of Church and Main Street in Camden for a rally. Wear a mask and bring a sign.
The Kirkland Town Democrats also continue their weekly stand along the Clinton Village Green at the same time, if that is closer to where you live.
Resources from Indivisible National
There have been some terrific training calls and resources coming from Indivisible in recent weeks, both in relation to the Coronavirus and to racial justice work. Here's a slide deck about how to be effective when talking about the role Trump and the GOP have played in failing to protect Americans from the COVID. And here is a very helpful document for white people on the pitfalls of allyship with People of Color (POC).
As always, the Indivisible.org page is an excellent place to start for your daily activism, whether you are interested in defeating Trump, holding the House, or flipping the Senate, or whether you just want to know the next steps for your personal activism on Black Lives Matter issues. Indivisible works hard to join forces with the groups that are already experts on the issues and the advocacy, and then encourage Indivisibles to amplify the message to Members of Congress (MOCs) and others in power.
We continue to encourage everyone, especially those who are not able to phone bank to keep NY22 blue, to write letters as part of the Vote Forward effort here. That letter writing may be a perfect activity to do the next time you join IMV's CAFE Friday.
Happy Fourth of July!
IMV wishes you a happy Independence Day! Usually political activists spend the Fourth attending various local parades, walking with our favorite candidates to raise awareness about their campaigns. This is a very different kind of national holiday.
For this one, stay home, stay safe, and make your plan for how you are going to fight for democracy in the next four months. Literally everything is at stake in the coming election, perhaps more than we ever imagined. So enjoy your holiday with family and friends, and then get in the game with Zoom, digital tools, and phone calling. Elections don't win themselves, and democracy is not a spectator sport.